Cloud architect designs all the structures and components of a cloud service to operate correctly and be easily accessible to clients.
This includes designing the front-end and back-end platform infrastructure, data delivery and storage systems, security systems, and network design.
When combined, these elements will form a cloud service platform. In practice, cloud architects work with others. They will work closely with cloud engineers to create cloud services based on planning with the client.
In a way, a cloud architect is a mastermind figure because they are the one who draws a picture of how and how the cloud should function and what features should be there.
Then, the cloud engineer is the executor whose job is to build it according to the architect’s design.
What Does Cloud Architect Do?
The task of a cloud architect continues beyond designing the structure. The cloud architect is also responsible for developing a maintenance strategy and network management for the cloud service.
In addition, launching Better Team, the big picture of the cloud architect’s duties are:
- Manage the adaptation process of the cloud strategy
- Evaluate and develop the cloud platform regularly, including hardware and software maintenance
- Offers guidance on the technical flow of its infrastructure, including mass application transfers to the cloud
- Work closely with the IT security department to monitor the company’s cloud privacy
- Respond to technical issues in a professional and timely manner
- Identify the best solution to meet the strategic needs of the company or client
This profession usually has a bachelor’s educational background in computer science, computer engineering, and informatics engineering (IT).
A cloud architect must also have at least 3-5 years of work experience designing, implementing, and supporting cloud computing or in a similar technical field.
Ideally, a cloud architect has good knowledge of operating systems, such as Linus, Unix, Solaris, Ubuntu, or Windows. It would be even better if accompanied by experience as an administrator or architect in one of these systems.
Apart from that, other qualifications and skills required to apply for the cloud architect position are:
1. Understand networking well, including TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, IT addresses, etc. Arguably, this is the most important qualification to meet.
2. Have knowledge of open-source tools such as Kubernetes and Docker.
4. Understand data storage. A cloud architect needs to understand how and when to deploy data centers.
5. Understanding involves knowledge of hardware, storage containers, and their infrastructure.
6. Understanding cybersecurity. Data security is an essential cloud feature.
7. Having knowledge of security concepts, such as firewalls and their functions, is one of the prerequisites that must be possessed by a cloud architect.
8. Experienced in ITSM, I&O, automation, vendor management, and governance.
9. Have soft skills such as communication, collaboration, and task delegation.
10. Have certification as a professional cloud architect.
Cloud Architect Certification
Certification indicates that you have strong knowledge of the ins and outs of cloud provider services.
To get this certification, you must first take and pass the cloud architect exam.
1. AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
The AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate exam is a certification offered by Amazon Web Services (AWS) for cloud and solution architects, both beginners and professionals.
This exam covers implementing AWS systems, best practices, and many other topics.
This includes finding out how good your technical skills are in designing and deploying scalable systems.
2. Microsoft Azure
Having the Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect certification proves you have the expertise in computing, networking, storage, and security to design solutions that run on Azure.
To get the Azure Solutions Architect certification, you must pass two exams: AZ-300 and AZ-301.
The AZ-300 exam focuses on Azure technology, and the AZ-301 exam focuses on design.
3. Google Cloud Platform
The cloud architect certification from Google Cloud Platform measures an individual’s ability to perform specific jobs using Google Cloud technology.
This exam assesses how good your knowledge, skills, and abilities are to become a cloud architect using rigorously developed, industry-standard methods.
Certified Cloud Architects are expected to be able to design, develop, and manage robust, secure, scaleable, accessible, and dynamic services to support clients’ business goals.
Cloud Architect Specialist Area
Specializing in a specific area of cloud computing, such as security, networking, or data management, can help you become a more valuable asset to employers and increase your chances of advancing in your career as a cloud architect.
To specialize in security, you’ll need to have a strong understanding of security best practices and technologies, such as encryption, authentication, and intrusion detection. You should also be familiar with security regulations and compliance requirements, such as HIPAA and PCI-DSS.
To specialize in networking, you’ll need to have a deep understanding of networking concepts and protocols, as well as experience working with virtual networks, load balancers, and other networking services in the cloud.
3. Data Management
To specialize in data management, you’ll need to have a strong understanding of databases and data warehousing, as well as experience working with data management services in the cloud, such as Amazon S3 and Glacier, Azure Blob and File Storage, and Google Cloud Storage.
In addition to gaining specialized knowledge, it is also important to obtain certifications related to the specific area of specialization.
For example, if you want to specialize in security, you might consider obtaining certifications such as AWS Certified Security – Specialty, Azure Security Engineer Associate, or GCP Professional Cloud Security Engineer.
Also, you can join online communities or professional organizations that are focused on your area of specialization. Attend conferences, webinars, and other events where you can learn from experts and network with other professionals in your field.
Cloud architects have promising prospects by increasing the need for cloud services in technology companies.
In addition, many businesses realize the importance of the cloud in storing and accessing data on a large scale.
This means that the need for human resources in this field continues to increase.
Cloud architects with professional certification can generally work in cloud service provider companies, such as AWS and Google Cloud Platform.
In addition, many medical companies have targeted cloud architects to help them a map and design solutions for their systems.